Hello dear Wargamers! 🙂
Today absolutely special post – beginning of my own big project! I`d like to share with you my first step in creation of two armies from 100 Years War in 1/72 scale. Finally 🙂
Idea of medieval wargaming is very close to my heart. I`ve always wanted to have a decent forces of knights and infantry on my shelf. First serious choice during this project – scale. In my modeling career, I’ve made everything from 3mm to 1/35 . After the initial selection I had three options:
A) 28 mm
+ Big size of miniatures = a lot of space for painting
+ Conversions possibilities
+ Scale recommended for many wargaming systems
– Just a few boxes of minis in plastic (Perry)
– Price – especially metal sculpts are expensive
– It`s hard to create big army in reasonable budget
+ A lot of producers in this scale
+ Very low price
+ Minis have decent size to paint (you can still see a lot of details)
+ Big army is possible
– Low quality of plastic sets (material)
– It`s hard to find medieval scenery in 1/72
+ Big availability of minis
+ Moderate price
+ Definitely big army!
– Miniatures are not availabe in my country (almost everything from online stores in UK)
– Hard to paint (I mean not so many details and a bit too many minis to paint)
TIME TO BUY SOMETHING
As you may see, I decided to pick 1/72. After a long session on Plastic Soldier Review I bought some boxes 🙂 I wanted to check different producers to compare quality of sculpts, sizes etc. List of minis:
Zvezda – English Knights of the 100 Years War
Zvezda – English Infantry of the 100 Years War
Caesar Miniatures – European Medieval Foot Soldiers and Archers
Strelets – English Longbowmen
Italeri – English Knights and Archers
I have a plan to create two armies – English and French. Unfortunately all French Zvezda boxes are discontinued (I received this info directly from Zvezda).
Almost 200 miniatures in workshop now. And much more on way to my home!
PLANS, PLANS, PLANS
I decided to create here on blog my small “diary” of this project. Below short todo list:
- Time to choose wargaming system
- I must find a way to create scenery
- Bases system for all miniatures
- Some closeups / small reviews of minis
- Solid painting!
I hope you`ll follow this project. I count on your support and comments. Can`t wait for next steps. Really! 🙂
Stay tuned wargamers. All the best!